Posted by & filed under News.

It is with regret that we have taken the decision to cancel the Haslemere Triathlon (scheduled for Sunday 24 May 2020) due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

All registered participants have been contacted and automatically transferred to Guildford Triathlon – which, based on current information, is due to go ahead on Sunday 12 July. No further action is required from anyone who registered to participate in the Haslemere Triathlon.

We know we are not able to please everyone with the decisions we take, but we assure you that we make these decisions having carefully considered all of the information and national guidance that is currently available to us.

It is our firm belief that – if appropriate and safe to do so – it is perhaps more important than ever that we are able to come together socially and support each other during these challenging and uncertain times. Unfortunately, the very nature of the Haslemere Triathlon event presents us with little opportunity to overcome a variety of safety concerns involved in delivering a water-based activity at this time. Not only do we have very little control over the cleanliness of the venue, but we are also unable to overcome concerns we have regarding participants queuing in close proximity for swim starts; entering, exiting and swimming in the pool, and being in close proximity within the transition area. We have more time and ability to address such concerns for the Guildford Triathlon; we still have the ability to limit the number of entrants and/or implement an option for virtual participation for this event (for example).

We are monitoring closely the developments relating to the spread of COVID-19; following advice given by the UK Government, the World Health Organisation and other UK public bodies; if the situation regarding Guildford Triathlon changes (following the release of further information or instruction from the Government) we will be in touch with all entrants by email. As it stands, acting on all of the information and national guidance that is currently available to us, Guildford Triathlon will go ahead as planned on 12 July with any necessary adjustments to facilitate additional safety measures.


Comments are closed.