Attracting 500+ local children each year, the Mercer Surrey Half Marathon Kids Run – sponsored by Halstead Preparatory School for Girls – is an ideal and effective opportunity for children to support both their local community and charitable causes, whilst having fun with friends and family.
✓ Huge medal
✓ Instant results (chip timing)
✓ Incredible Spot prizes from Laserquest at The Big Apple and Airhop in Guildford
The Kids Run encourages children to experience the exciting atmosphere generated surrounding sports events which not only showcases running as a standalone sport, but inspires children to lead active and healthy lifestyles. With full road closures in place and dedicated team of volunteers, the safety of each individual child is fully addressed and catered for.
Starting from the main event gantry, the children have made a tradition of sprinting the first 100m – which never fails to get the crowd going! They race along a fully-closed 2km route which is lined with marshals, live bands and cheering spectators. All children are applauded across the finish line and receive a huge medal (amongst other treats) which they will treasure for years.
1. An inter-school competition is a sporting activity taking place between schools from the same area – this is a one off event with a festival feel to get out and have some fun!
2. Inter-school competition is for school years 3-13. The Halstead Kids Race is open to ages 6 to 11yrs and the 5k is open to kids 11yrs to 13yrs.
3. If your school has a running club, children over the age of 13yrs may enter the Club Championships, this is open up to any age and can include teachers who also attend the running club.
4. Participants must include their school name in the club section during the registration process or ensure it is updated through their profile prior to race day.
5. For consistency and validation, school names should be the exact name of the school and all entrants using the same name. It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure the school details they provide during registration are accurate.
6. All participants will be allocated 1 point for completing the event with additional points awarded, as detailed below, for both female/male participants. Overall – 10pts for 1st, 9pts for 2nd, 8pts for 3rd…2pts for 9th, 1pt for 10th
7. School PE kits are encouraged but optional – we want you to show pride in your team so maybe encourage school colours.
8. As a prize, a donation to the PTA will be awarded to the highest scoring school, which will be notified within a week of the event (where a presentation is not possible on the day and/or once results are considered final).
9. Parents will be responsible for getting their child to the event and ensuring their safety and well-being throughout. At no point will the school they are representing be responsible for the children at any point during the event unless specific arrangements have been made with the school.
Running with children
The Kids Run is designed for children 5 – 16 to complete themselves, but if your children are a little younger or would prefer to run with you that’s no problem, we will ask you to wait outside the kids zone until the race has started and then you may run once the pen has started to empty.
All children must be registered to run, but there is no need to register chaperones. Children with chaperones should start at the back of the pack.
Child Safety and Repatriation Policy
Your children’s safety is taken very seriously. Parents, please be patient and remain calm. Kids Run marshals are instructed to follow a repatriation procedure to return all children to the correct adults. The procedure will be outlined in the pre-race briefing notes sent out a week before the race.